Home Up Feedback Table of Contents

Kimron Jawa


Kimron Jawa

Back Next

After four days of fighting headwinds and steep seas the Kimron Jawa Islands rose over the horizon.  The highest island is 840 meters high and visible from many miles out.  From first siting until we were on the islands was 8 hours.  This put us in the middle of the islands trying to beat to windward up a narrow channel in the dark with a third generation photocopy of a 20 year old chart.

Dave T. was navigating Tom was helming and Dave D. sleeping in his off watch period.  Dave D. got a little bit aggressive about trying to stretch every last inch out of each tack and on one of them after coming about there was the sickening crunch-crunch sound as we skimmed over the reef.  Fortunately the tide was at just the right height so a quick about-face got us out of there with only a badly bruised ego and scratches on the bottom of the keel. 

Poor Dave D., awaken from his sleep by the boat bouncing on the hard was very distraught that we were heading back out to sea.  He was convinced that we should park the boat firmly on the reef and man the life raft.   He did a check of the bilges and announced that we were not sinking so our course was OK.

Kironmon Jawa boat.jpg (6490 bytes) This is a typical Javenese style fishing boat.  They are powered by a fairly large bore single cylinder diesel engine driving a long shaft that the pilot drops into the water.   Steering is accomplished with a rudder tied to the port side.

The typical boat draws about meter of water.  This allows them to drive the boats right up to the beach.  With flat bottoms, they careen on the beach while the tide goes out.

We did manage to finally work our way up the channel and arrived outside the port entrance at 02:00.  Not wanting to attempt entry into an unknown port in the dark we hove-to for the night.  This was not what Dave D. wanted to hear, still concerned about the structural integrity of the boat he wanted to get to port quick.  The idea of parking the boat in open water just did not sit well.   While Dave T. and Tom sleep, Dave D. sat watch, plotting the boats position every 15 minutes convinced we would crash into an island.

By morning light we were had drifted 2 miles down wind into open water.  We then went around Kiron Jawa Island and entered the port.   The anchorage was very much a local fishing port.  The bottom seemed to be either 14 meters deep or 1.5 meters deep.  After trying to get the hook to stick unsuccessfully on the edge of the drop, the harbourmaster signaled to us that we could use his friends "dock."  The dock was a stand alone teak deck in 3 meters of water with a teak table and chairs.  We tied up to this and stayed for the next four days enjoying the island immensely.

Back Next


Home ] Up ]

Send email to tkohrs@dragonstoy.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: February 01, 2009